Sunday, October 25, 2009

UFC

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Saturday, Rob and I had several people over to watch the UFC fights that were going to be on that night. I have been wanting to try my hand at fondant cake for awhile now and thought this would be a perfect opportunity. It wasn't easy to say the least.
I knew from reading of the web how to make it and what to do. The making part was easy, what to do after that was the hard part. For those that aren't familiar with fondant. It is a pliable type of coating (icing) for cakes, usually used in wedding cakes to give the cake a smooth look. Very neat, let me tell you.
Since I was doing a UFC cake I wanted to make the cake all black and then use red lettering. I made two batches of fondant (white) and after adding a ton black coloring, I finally got it just where I wanted it. Now, time is short, because in my small lil mind, I thought that I would be able to work this up in a jiffy but it was now 5pm and guests were arriving at 7pm. So, the next step was to roll it. Easy right? NO! The recipe that I had said to use powdered sugar on the table top so it doesn't stick...yea, that didn't work at all. It kept sticking and I kept adding and trying to roll and it was NOT working. By this time, I am getting so angry I want to throw this stuff through the window and it's 6pm. Last resort, I ran to look up online what the deal was. Many still said to use powdered sugar but one said to use shortening. Thank goodness for the Internet, because sure enough it worked.
Instead of the black cake, I just went with white and the red/black lettering. Yes, I know the lettering looks like Baron did it, but with 5 mins till 7pm, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I slopped it on there and the doorbell rang as I sprinted upstairs to shower. Phew! Tasted great though and it was gone by the end of the night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...